Perform and assist in general group and laboratory operations tasks; bacterial sample preparation and laboratory analysis maintenance of instruments and laboratory; documentation of analytical results and quality control. May also assist in conducting experiments.
Responsibility, % of Time, Essential/Marginal
Assists with day-to-day laboratory operations by: 80% of Time, Essential
Making media or other reagents, autoclaving and disposing of bio hazardous waste, washing laboratory equipment and glassware, maintaining of inventory, some equipment maintenance, and assisting graduates with experiments
Performs experiments and carries out laboratory research by: 20% of Time, Marginal
Assisting graduates with their experiments as needed.
· scientific principles.
· computer hardware and software programs.
Demonstrated ability to:
· perform a variety of specialized tasks and laboratory/field techniques specific to the needs of the position.
· operate, maintain, calibrate, troubleshoot and resolve basic problems with instruments and equipment.
· keep records and compile written information for reports.
· follow good safety practices.
· utilize good interpersonal and communications skills.
Willingness and ability to:
· work with toxic, volatile, corrosive chemicals and/or carcinogenic substances.
· work in adverse environmental conditions.
· carry and/or lift materials up to 50 pounds.
Must be: Duties of this position require candidates to be at least eighteen years of age.
**Employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a criminal and driving background investigation.**
· microbiology and/or molecular biology lab techniques.