Perform farming, irrigation and maintenance duties in support of research and extension demonstrations related to the production of irrigated vegetable, forage, grain, seed crops at the Parma and Caldwell Research and Extension Centers under the general direction of the Farm Supervisor or other staff as designated by the Superintendent.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (% OF TIME, ESSENTIAL/MARGINAL)
Maintain farm operation by: (40%, E)
Performing work including using hand and tractor driven equipment for cultivating, fertilizing, planting, irrigating, spraying, pruning trees and harvesting and storing of irrigated row crops, grains and forage.
Keep equipment and irrigation systems ready to use by: (30%, E)
Performing maintenance/repairs on farm machinery including tractors, tillage and spray equipment, planters, irrigation equipment and harvesting equipment. Routine service and upkeep of pickups and other motor pool vehicles.
Maintain safe and clean working environment including farmstead, buildings, roadways, fences and ditches by: (18%,E)
Performing routine maintenance; hauling trash and garbage from buildings, shop, farm; painting and making minor repairs, disposing of crop residues; cleaning ditches, snow removal and fence building.
Control weeds and pests by: (10%, E)
Using appropriate approved measures; may include interpretation of chemical recommendations, calibration, and application of chemicals either by hand or by sprayer field sprayers.
Contribute to team effort by: (2%, M)
Cooperate with and assist other employees in doing routine jobs and in performing related duties as requested.
Thorough knowledge of:
· methods used in agricultural crop production.
· operation and maintenance of a variety of diesel and gasoline powered farm equipment; the safe use of electrical and hand operated shop tools.
· keep complete and accurate records; work in adverse environmental conditions and to carry or lift items of at least 80 pounds.
· good safety practices; Good Laboratory Practice Standards (GLPS) and their application.
Must: possess a valid Drivers License; flexibility to work odd hours.
Some positions may require a Private Applicators License, Professional Applicators License, and/or Chemigation or be willing to obtain one within 6 months.
Must: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
· Three years experience in agricultural crop production.
· Two years of college or technical training in agricultural related field.
· Thorough knowledge of: methods used in irrigation systems and practices.
· Knowledge of: agricultural chemicals and their safe use; agricultural chemicals and their safe use.
· Willingness and Ability to: work odd and irregular hours, including occasional weekends and holidays; travel between several locations.
· Valid Idaho private applicators license, RU & CH categories.