The Web Developer position works at the Northwest Knowledge Network (NKN), the core data management infrastructure of the University of Idaho, located in the Office of Research and Economic Development. This position will work with a team of web developers and designers to facilitate the ongoing design, implementation, testing, and administration of a web-based data access portal and related technologies for NKN and the Office of Research and Economic Development. The position involves integrating grant-funded projects and programs into the NKN data management framework. The Web Application Developer includes responsibilities for database development/integration, client support, defect tracking, version control, and ongoing collaboration with web and graphic designers and content managers. This person must be a team player and collaborator, able to accomplish a wide variety of tasks with considerable independence, solve problems creatively; take initiative to achieve results; meet deadlines; and maintain a positive attitude. This position must be conducted with the highest level of technical professionalism, while also meeting high standards of customer service, and in a manner that promotes a positive image for NKN and the University of Idaho.
Responsibility % of Essential/
Provide a reliable, effective, and efficient web development effort by: 70% E
· Working in both individual and team settings to perform all aspects of design, development, testing, securing, and deploying various components of portals and web-based applications including back end databases, application code/logic, and front-end user interfaces.
· Programming solutions to specifications using appropriate technologies and validating accuracy and appropriateness of coded solutions.
· Resolving complex programming problems and determining appropriate solutions; design efficient and effective algorithms for resolving issues; testing regimes to assure that the overall portal architecture and infrastructure is responsive and can scale to handle many users and large data sets.
· Preparing requirements, written instructions, and design specifications, diagrams, logic representations, and other documentation related to the development and maintenance of an integrative scientific data portal.
· Participating in the bi-directional sharing of technical knowledge and collaborating effectively with other team members, including web developers, web designers, content managers, and systems administrators.
· Using online project management, collaboration, version control, and issue/defect tracking systems.
· Designing appropriate database schemata and interface these databases with web front ends.
· Interacting with several distinct development, staging, and production web and database servers.
· Keeping up with evolving web standards by:
· Researching new and upgraded software packages and related hardware; recommend appropriate purchases.
· Developing or modifying of system standards.
Optimize client and program satisfaction through teamwork and a strong 20% E
commitment to customer service by:
· Fostering an atmosphere of collaborative problem-solving to ensure that the organization and its internal and external clients/partners are fully supported.
· Working within current resource boundaries to develop innovative and practical solutions to streamline development efforts and development workflow.
· Taking timely and decisive action when necessary to ensure that critical activities are accomplished promptly and successfully.
Project management on various projects and supervise staff and students by: 5% E
· Delegating and assigning tasks and projects as needed.
· Assessing training needs and provide occasional training on relevant software products and platforms, web development technologies, software development methodologies, and workflow processes, for unit staff as needed.
Contributes to the team effort by: 5% M
· Performing other duties as assigned by the Operations Manager. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Web Design or related field; OR Associate’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Web Design or related field plus 2 years professional experience; OR equivalent combination of related education/experience totaling 4 years.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must have experience in and knowledge of maintaining and updating Internet applications; documenting and maintaining a logical directory hierarchy for www pages and application scripts.
- Must have a demonstrated record of delivering quality customer service and working cooperatively and effectively with management and clientele, including faculty, staff, and students.
- Five years of experience performing similar tasks or an equivalent combination of research experience and education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of: programming techniques; system analysis and design; software products; computer system concepts and database management; research methods; statistical methods used to evaluate data; capabilities of computer systems; and database design and procedures.
- Experienced in:
Identifying computer database problems; interacting with users to identify and resolve problems; using data modeling concepts and database definitions; using database design techniques; testing and debugging databases; generating and maintaining database management systems; applying security concepts while designing and maintaining database structural integrity; interacting with clients to analyze their needs and develop and implement efficient technical solutions.
Using data modeling concepts and database definitions; using database design techniques; testing and debugging databases; generating and maintaining database management systems; applying security concepts while designing and maintaining database structure’s data integrity; interacting with clients to analyze client needs.
- Experience with: Open-source Linux-based environments and tools including, but not limited to, the Apache web server, MySQL or PostgreSQL databases, and a content management systems such as Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, Concrete5, or similar.
- Working knowledge of XML concepts
- Previous experience with source code control and versioning systems such as CVS, SVN, or GIT or similar.
- Demonstrated experience with server-side web development languages such as Java/JSP, PHP or similar.
- Extensive experience with server-side Java/JSP
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as ESRI ArcGIS
- Experience with geospatial, environmental, ecological, or other types of metadata standards including FGDC, ISO-19115, EML, WaterML, Dublin Core, Darwin Core.
- Experience with some or all of the following:
- Using XML tools such as oXygen or using XSLT
- Python or Perl scripting.
- Concrete5 content management systems
- Apache Tomcat or other Java servlet containers
- Record of communicating effectively both verbally and in writing, directly with clients and in a production team environment.
***This position is subject to the successful completion of a criminal background check***